July 18, 2012- Life in the VC Lane- Independence, MO- Hermana Cashmore


Life in the VC Lane                                     July 18, 2012

Good morning,

Things are going great here in Independence. I saw my first possum along with a whole pile of miracles!

We have really been trying to focus on “part member” families and receiving referrals from our members this last week. While visiting a “less active” before we could even ask, she told us about a family that may be interested. It was such a blessing. We were able to stop by the referrals home the next day. It’s always funny to knock on people’s door, ask for a specific person and watch their reaction. We asked for Saiko, and the man standing in the door frame just stood there for a minute. I could tell he was trying to decide something. He finally moved out of the way and invited us in. We were able to get to know Saiko and it turned out that he once was a member of the LDS Church in Samoa, but had his records removed because of some offense. He said that when he saw us at the door he was making the decision to either accept or reject us. He said he let us come in because the church has been on his mind the past few weeks and it’s something he wants his family to learn of. Sister Cashmore and I sat with this man and testified to him of how this is his time to come back. It wasn't a coincidence his name was given to us and that he felt like he needed to let us into his home.

Sister Larson left me today! We had her goodbye breakfast this morning with the senior couples and other sisters. Although it will only be a month before I can see her again it was still no fun to say goodbye. She has been a huge miracle in my life. When I found out that she would be going home a few weeks earlier than planned I prayed that I would be able to have one last opportunity to be with her. Heavenly Father was beyond nice and gave me the opportunity to serve with her at the VC and live across the hall from her for 2 weeks. I love that girl. She is amazing. She has so much strength and courage. After serving an awesome faithful mission she can go home and start feeling better. Love you Steph!

Sister Cashmore and I have meet with a less active named Rachel once a week. She is amazing. Her faith in what she believes is incredible. As we were visiting with her we felt like we needed to share a Mormon message about forgiveness. As the video ended Rachel turned back to us with tears running down her face. She began to tell us that was what she needed. In 2009 her 2-year-old son was killed in the Tsunami in Samoa. She was living here in the states at the time and had heard about the disaster from a friend. She said that she knew instantly her son was dead. It took weeks to contact her family over the phone and her son’s body was never found. She told us that the loss of her son caused a lot of tension and anger between her and her husband’s family. Rachel who was caught in the middle and left to mourn her 2-year-old son said, "I forgave them." She said because she had the Gospel in her life she knew they were going to be together forever. She would see her son again. A wave of humility over came me as I sat listening to this strong Samoan woman of faith. Rachel helped me realize that what we teach is seriously true. It’s not something we tell people to lure them into thinking we are right and they are wrong, it’s not about that. It’s about having a purpose, a plan of happiness and a sense of belonging with those we love. What greater purpose could there be?

I'm so grateful for all I have learned on my mission. It has been the most challenging, humbling and incredible experience of my life. Even though it is coming to an end, I'm starting to feel like its time. I'm ready to take everything I've learned and apply that to being a full time member. Each of us wears the name tag with the Saviors name on it, its just invisible instead of black.

I love you. Be safe.

Sister Kenz


No comments:

Post a Comment