July 11, 2012- Independence Mo, Visitors Center, Hermana Cashmore





Zion
Hi everyone!                                                 July 11, 2012

So much has happened in the last week in a half that I don't know where to begin.

Transfers came around. I was so sad to say goodbye to Manhattan, but even more so to Kansas. I still sit here almost a week later and can't really believe I’m here. Remember almost 2 years ago I received a mission call to the Independence Missouri Mission? Remember how I was then sent out to Kansas for 10 months of it? Well the transfer call came last Tuesday and when I heard "Sister Hall will be serving with Sister Cashmore in the Independence 1st Ward" I was pretty sure I heard wrong. I think I listened to the voicemail at least twice before I realized what was really happening.

I was being transferred to Zion and back to the visitor’s centers. I came back. I still can't believe it. It’s so weird to be in the heart of everything. To have the mission office 5 minutes away from our apartment where mail and notices take 10 minutes to get to you instead of a week. Its been weird to have 14 other sister missionaries hanging around instead of just you and your companion. Its funny to watch the newer sisters realize that I'm a full proselyter yet I'm back in the Visitors Center they are almost just as shocked as I was. It’s been weird to see the inner city and garbage instead of open fields and nothing but road kill. It’s been strange to only be in our area half a day and spend the other half in the visitor’s center. It’s all just been weird but I couldn't be happier.

My new companion is Hermana Cashmore. She is awesome. She's been serving about 9 months and is from Santa Maria California. She's just about the happiest little thing ever. It’s been a 360-degree difference from what the last 6 weeks were. To have someone to teach with, to laugh with and to enjoy what’s going on has been something I have missed. It’s been the biggest blessing to have her in my life.

Our area is another “building” area, which is nothing new. We have a few investigators but there is a whole lot of room for improvement. We did have an awesome miracle yesterday though. We had met a potential a few days earlier and set up an appointment with him to meet us at the Visitors Center. We weren't sure he was actually going to show because his very Baptist Mother chewed us out on her doorstep. But we had all the hope in the world that Heavenly Father would help him get to our appointment. Yesterday rolled around and guess who showed up 15 minutes early! Delone came! We had an amazing lesson with him. He opened up so much and expressed his concerns about his father’s death. We were able to teach him about the Plan of Salvation and help him understand the plan that God has for his family. He was amazed at the answers we had. He ended up asking for a Book of Mormon and then sat at VC and read while he waited for his ride. Sister Cashmore and I were so excited. Please keep him in your prayers. If we can keep him progressing without his mom getting in the way then we know he will make it.

Our ward is great. We cover the Independence 1st ward which is 85% Samoan. Our ward mission leader has the biggest hands I have ever seen...half your arm gets lost when he shakes your hand. They all come to church with flowers in their hair and tropical patterned dresses. Sister Cashmore and I both have blonde hair and blue eyes...so we don't stand out at all! Plus they all have names that I can't pronounce but I'm learning. They are all super loving on Sunday and it’s hard not to love these people instantly. We also cover the singles branch for the stake. It’s not as big as the branch in Manhattan but the members are just as fun. I keep wondering if Heavenly Father has some motive behind me covering 2 different single branches.

Everything has happened so fast. I've already been here for an entire week. I can tell that time is so not going to be on my side.

Heavenly Father has and continues to bestow upon me tender mercies. To actually be here and have the opportunity to feel of the unique Spirit in the Visitors Centers once again, to make 14 new friends and have the opportunity to build up one more area is so much more than I deserve. I'm so thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the power that it has. I'm grateful for everything the Saints went through so that we can stand here today and learn from their sacrifice and examples in this area.

Life is amazing.

Have a good week. Be safe.

Sister Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment