August 16, 2012- Independence VC- Sister Cashmore- FINAL email



August 16, 2012
MIM Forever! (Missouri Independence Mission)
Very Last Email

Hi everyone....

Goodness.... where has time gone? I can't believe this is my last email as a missionary. How in the world do you sum up 18 months and 3 weeks into an email? I think it’s impossible.

The past few days have been so incredible but also really hard.

It all started Sunday when I had the realization that it was my last sacrament meeting as a missionary. Somehow word got out that I was heading home this next week. Of course it got to the bishop and of course one of the speakers didn't show up. Well guess who was asked to speak 5 minutes before? Yup. Me. I was a nervous wreck but it turned out okay. I didn't die anyway. In every area I've served I've had the opportunity to share my testimony with people I have come to love. Independence has been no different. It has been the fastest 6 weeks of my life, but I have come to love these people so much. They are so wonderful and the fact that Heavenly Father allowed me to share my testimony with them one last time was a privilege. It was so strange to stand in front of those people, not knowing half of them and love them as much as I do. Hebrews 12: 1-2 came to mind and its what I based my scattered thoughts around. That scripture has come to mean so much to me. In our race of life Jesus Christ waits at the finish line for us. He always has been and he always will be. He is the "author and finisher of our faith". What great comfort that is. I was able to stand before those people and truly realize what the Gospel is all about. I have been blessed enough to wear the Saviors name along with my own. He is real and this really is his work.

The miracles continued while having dinner with a ward member. Before we left we had asked if there were anyone she would like us to visit. She didn't necessarily blow it off but she just said, "Well, you can go give my next door neighbors a try." I've heard that one so many times before that I had little confidence much was going to come from it. I was so wrong! After asking for Jamie and Marcie and making a brief introduction why 2 girls were knocking on their door, Marcie let us in immediately. We talked for a good hour with her about Heavenly Father’s love and then set up another appointment so we could meet the entire family.

Our appointment was on Monday evening. We knocked and no one answered. We knocked again and still no answer. Sister Cashmore and I were super bummed. Our lesson days earlier had gone so well. Why aren't they answering?  We stood on their porch for a good 10 minutes both silently praying that something would happen. Just as we were about to give up and leave them a note, low and behold here comes the family pulling into the driveway. Prayers are answered!

This lesson was one of the most amazing spiritual lessons of my mission! Everything Sister Cashmore and I had planned was immediately “out the window”. The family just talked and we listened. They didn't need to hear about the restoration or that Joseph Smith was a prophet. Not yet anyway. Instead we got to know this family. We got to know who they were and everything that they have experienced in life. As we listened, all I could think about was how much love they had for each other and we needed to let them know how much God loved them. They needed to know the love they have for each other can last for eternity. John 3:16 kept coming to mind over and over again. They continued to talk and we continued to testify. Before we left Marcie asked if we could baptize their family. We explained that was our purpose of being in their home; To invite them to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel by faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.

I wish I could put those 2 hours into words but I really can't. This family is so ready for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have never been so sure about that for anyone; all of them, Jamie, Marcie, Alyssa, Jessie and Selena are ready for this. They are ready and I (like so many other times) was lucky enough to be a part of it. I’m so thankful to Heavenly Father for starting them off on the path that is going to change their eternity. It’s moments like this that make everything worth it. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Ever.

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Church that Jesus Christ established on the earth. I know it is from a 14-year-old boy lacking wisdom but by asking God found the truth. I know that 14-year-old boy; Joseph Smith was called of God to restore the Gospel to the earth. I know Joseph Smith saw what he saw and everything he experienced from Palmyra to Liberty was so the truth could move forward. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is our prophet today; standing in his presence at the cultural event solidified that for me forever. I know our work as missionaries is never finished, regardless of the nametag, and I know with all of my heart that Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ are real. It is through the Savior's Atonement, the sacrament, scriptures and fervent prayer we are able to strengthen ourselves and become who the Lord needs us to be.

It’s going to be one of the hardest things in my life to leave this behind. To be completely honest I'm terrified to go back to reality and to say goodbye to everything and everyone, but it’s going to be okay, I have to believe that, and I do believe that. The Independence Missouri Mission has been the best mission in the world for me and I know this isn't the end. There is much more for me to do and accomplish. I really couldn't be happier.

Everything I have become I owe to my Heavenly Father and to you. Thank you for all that you have done, for the constant prayers, thoughts and love. I wouldn't be whom I am with out you.

I love you and have loved my mission more than you could ever know.

Be happy, love life and be safe.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment